Make this fruity soup with walnut, parsnip, and pear for your loved ones and watch their eyes light up at the sight of it. It will not only satisfy their hungry tummies but also provide a break from the everyday fare.
For The Soup:
500g parsnip, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 sprigs of thyme
Salt and pepper
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2 pears, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
800ml vegetable stock
75g California walnuts, ground in the food processor
For The Smoky Walnuts:
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons soy sauce
50g California walnuts
1 tablespoon chopped chives and a drizzle of walnut oil to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the parsnips onto a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle over the thyme, season, and toss everything together. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, make the smoky California walnuts. Whisk together the maple syrup, paprika, and soy sauce and drizzle over the 50g of California walnuts, tossing to coat. Place onto a small baking tray and roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Leave to cool before chopping roughly.
3. Next, place the onion and butter into a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté until soft and translucent. Add the pear and continue cooking for a further 8-10 minutes.
4. Add the parsnip and vegetable stock to the saucepan and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes with the lid on. Add the milk and blitz until smooth and silky. Stir in the ground California walnuts and adjust the seasoning to taste.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls, then sprinkle with the smoky California walnuts and chopped chives, adding a final drizzle of walnut oil to serve.
BY: – Chef Sabyasachi Gorai