1 litter milk
1 vanilla bean
150g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
8 eggs, separated
350g icing sugar, sifted, plus extra, to dust
220g raspberries, to serve
Toasted flaked almonds, to serve
1) Place milk, vanilla bean and 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar in a large, wide saucepan or deep
frying pan and slowly bring almost to the boil.
2) Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites and a pinch of salt until soft peaks
form, then gradually add icing sugar and beat until mixture is thick and glossy.
3) Remove vanilla bean from milk and reserve, keeping milk at a gentle simmer. Line a tray with baking paper. Using 2 large metal spoons, scoop ovals of meringue and drop 6 at a time into milk. Cook for 1 minute each side, then transfer to tray. Meringues will keep at this stage for up to 2 hours. Makes about 24 meringues.
4) Strain milk into a clean saucepan and add scraped seeds from reserved vanilla bean. Whisk egg yolks and remaining caster sugar in a bowl until combined, gradually pour in the hot milk, then return mixture to pan and stir over low heat until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not boil. Custard can be served immediately or refrigerated until ready to serve.
5) To serve, spoon custard among 8 glass or china bowls, top with snow eggs, raspberries and toasted flaked almonds and dust with a little extra icing sugar.
BY: Chef Vijesh Modi, Sous Chef.