1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
8 radishes, thinly sliced
2 medium jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
California Walnut Chorizo Crumble
1 1/2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups walnuts
3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil, divided
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon Ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon chipotle, ground
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
16 whole wheat tortillas
Olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
Thinly sliced romaine lettuce
Fresh cilantro leaves
- Stir together lime juice, sugar and sea salt in a small bowl. Stir in radish, jalapeno and garlic slices and let stand for 30 minutes to pickle.
- Meanwhile, to prepare “chorizo” crumble, place walnuts and beans in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and remaining crumble ingredients to food processor and pulse again until mixture is finely chopped and resembles ground meat, stirring several times and moving the mixture from the bottom of the food processor bowl to the top to evenly mix.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a very large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add “chorizo” mixture to skillet and cook for 10 minutes or until mixture is nicely browned and resembles ground meat, stirring frequently. (May be prepared several days ahead and stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.)
- Brush each tortilla lightly with oil or coat with cooking spray. Cook briefly on a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat to brown on both sides, keeping warm in foil until all tortillas are cooked.
- Remove pickled vegetables from liquid and discard garlic slices. Fill each tortilla with equal amounts of “chorizo” and pickled vegetables. Garnish with lettuce and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.