Most of us have memories of our school days and there’s usually a story about our crush or a relationship that blossomed during those wonder years. In most cases, such stories end with time, as we go through college and start with our professional career or business. However, you will be surprised to know that there are some folks who have been together since their high school days. And many claim to have perfectly happy marriages for several decades.
So, does marrying your high school sweetheart makes sense? Well, just like everything else, such relationships can have both advantages and disadvantages. For better understanding, let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of marrying your high school sweetheart.
Advantages of marrying your high school sweetheart
- Knowing each other’s true self – When we are young, we openly express who we are. But as we grow up, we learn to pretend and hide behind behavioral masks. So, if you know someone from school days, you would like them for what they are. This can be a key factor for a healthy relationship.
- Familiar culture – It’s possible that two people studying in the same school share common culture and traditions. Their families may also be known to each other. This can create a favorable environment for marrying your high school sweetheart.
- Share life’s ‘firsts’ – Marrying your high school sweetheart means that you would have shared many things together like your first kiss. You would also have a lot of awkward moments to remember. All these factors can be beneficial for a healthy marriage.
- Fond memories – Your relationship will be backed by tons of memories that you would have shared from your high school days. This will help boost your relationship.
Disadvantages of marrying your high school sweetheart
- People may change – As an adult, we are quite different from what we were in our school days. We adapt to the environment and it can transform us in a completely different person. This may create challenges for the relationship.
- Boredom – Some couples may experience boredom within the relationship. It could be like there’s nothing left to explore anymore.
- Unrealistic expectations – The feeling of love is a lot intense when we are young. But things are toned down with time. If you and your partner don’t feel the same passion, it can create relationship issues.
Every individual and every relationship is different. So, there can never be a simple answer to whether you should marry your high school sweetheart. If you guys feel comfortable, there’s no stopping you. Either you will end up in complete bliss or learn some valuable life lessons. Both ways, you would have evolved. And don’t be afraid to make the move, as there’s only one way to find out.