You will be shocked to know that any type of cancer that begins in the reproductive organs of women can be termed as gynaecological cancers. Cervical, ovarian, and uterine cancer is the ones that will require immediate attention. And as a group, they will be called as gynaecologic cancer. Fallopian tube cancer another type but it occurs rarely. It is the need of the hour to understand the symptoms of gynaecological cancers and improve the quality of life.
A woman’s body tends to undergo changes at every stage of life. While the transition is completely normal but there will be some changes that can be bothersome and maybe the symptoms. Yes, you have heard it right! Those can be symptoms of gynaecological cancers that are women’s cancer. There are 4 types of gynaecological cancers such as cervical cancer that begins from the cells lining of the cervix, ovarian cancer that starts in the ovaries, uterine cancer that originates from the uterus, and fallopian tube cancer occurring in women with a history of ovarian or breast cancer. The number of women suffering from gynaecological cancers is rising in India. Thus, early diagnosis of symptoms can aid proper treatment and reduce mortality. Here, we tell you about the symptoms that you must watch out.
These are the symptoms of gynaecological cancers that shouldn’t be neglected
- Abdominal and pelvic pain: Ovarian cancer can invite back and abdominal pain whilepelvic pain can be seen in the patients having uterine cancer. Likewise, bloating is a symptom of cervical cancer. In case, there is a pain in the same location for over a month then immediately consult the doctor.
- Bleeding or discharge: Do you bleed after sex? Or in between your periods? Then, beware! It can be worrisome and you will have to seek medical attention as bleeding and discharge can be the symptoms of ovarian, uterine, and cervical cancer.
- Tiredness:Do you feel fatigued all the time? Then, it is time to get yourself evaluated as it can also be the symptom of gynaecological cancer.
- Unintentional weight loss:Is there sudden weight loss even when you haven’t changed your diet or exercise pattern then you must be watchful of it. Though shedding those excess kilos is a dream of every woman but unexplained weight loss can be dangerous for the health.
- Diarrhoea or constipation:Is there a change in your bowel and bladder habits? Do you notice symptoms such as constipation or diarrhea or even frequent urination? Then, take note of them and consult the doctor.
- Change in eating habits:If you tend to full quick or find it difficult to eat food then it can be a sign of ovarian cancer.
- Also, those changes in one’s vulva color or skin (that is a rash, sores, warts, or ulcers) are also the symptoms that need to be managed.
By Dr Madhuri Burande Laha, Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist, Motherhood Hospital, Kharadi