Introduction to Chocolate Ganache
The “Ganache” is a French word, which originated from Paris at Patisserie Siraudin and Chocolate Ganache is the blend of melted chocolate and milk cream. It is used for cake fillings, icing, glazing, making dessert sauces, and more. This is incredibly rich in taste and texture. The consistency of Ganache can be varied by using different proportions of chocolate and cream.
For example, if you want to make truffles, the ratio of chocolate to cream is doubled, on the other hand, if you want to fill the cupcakes with Ganache, the ratio of chocolate and cream will be 1: 1.
Chocolate online shopping is always a great idea, as it saves both your time and money. So, if you don’t have time to make Ganache at home, not to worry, you can buy it online from any online chocolate store.
How to make it -:
It is very easy to make Ganache and requires only two ingredients i.e chocolate and cream. Here are few easy steps to prepare it -:
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces or instead of taking big chocolate bricks you can use small choco chips. But it is important to buy chocolate of good quality because the taste of Ganache depends on the chocolate you use.
- Then take heavy cream in the pan and place it over medium flame, and stir frequently.
- After a few minutes remove the pan from the stove and pour the hot melted cream over the hot chocolate and don’t disturb the mixture for five minutes.
- When this mixture cools down, start whisking it slowly in one direction and keep doing it until the batter gets smooth. You can use a hand-driven manual whisker or an electric one, depending upon availability.
- After whisking for sufficient time, the mixture will turn into a smooth velvety batter. Now your chocolate ganache is ready, you can use it hot for Fondue, chocolate fountain, etc. But if you want to pour it on your cake for a glazing purpose then you have to wait for at least 10 minutes to cool it down. And to make truffles you need to refrigerate them overnight.
Does it contain alcohol?
As it is already mentioned above the basic Ganache is made from cream and chocolate but other ingredients such as oil, corn syrup, butter, and even liquor to enhance its flavor. Online chocolate shopping allows you to buy different flavors of chocolate Ganache to treat your taste buds.
Does chocolate ganache harden?
It will depend upon the ratio of chocolate and cream, and the method you use to prepare it. If you want to make truffles with chocolate Ganache then it is advised to melt the chocolate separately in a thick or double boiler and add a small amount of cold cream at that time.
Is there any substitute for heavy cream in ganache?
If you don’t have heavy cream and still wish to make frosted Ganache, well in that case you can use melted ice cream in the place of milk cream. The other options are as follows -:
- Sweet condensed milk
- Coconut Cream
- Sour Cream
- Cream cheese
All these can be used in the place of heavy cream, but there will be a slight difference in taste. Therefore, you should always try to put on heavy cream to make a perfect Ganache.
Difference Between Chocolate Ganache and Chocolate Buttercream -:
Many people are always confused about chocolate ganache and chocolate butter-cream, they think that these two are the same thing. But it is not like this, as discussed earlier Ganache is the mixture of melted chocolate and cream, whereas the preparation of chocolate buttercream is completely different. It is made by beating butter, chocolate powder, and icing sugar together. Apart from the chocolate flavor, buttercream also comes in many other flavors such as blueberry, caramel, vanilla, etc.
In Final Words -:
If you want to add more flavor to your homemade cakes and sweets, then filling them with chocolate ganache would be a great idea. It can be prepared from white, milk, or dark chocolate, you can choose as per your choice.